Dieting usually means interrupting it when you crave an ice cream. That’s because most people can’t follow a strict diet 100% of the time. They feel guilty when they are tempted by a dessert, crisps or a cocktail.

But following the 80/20 rule is a healthy, less restrictive food option that doesn’t feel like a diet. The 80/20 rule is more realistic and easier to follow than other diets because it allows you to enjoy your favorite foods in moderation while eating healthy.

What is the 80/20 diet rule?

The 80/20 method is a well-known approach to weight loss. The basic idea is to eat a healthy, balanced diet 80% of the time and allow yourself some flexibility for the other 20%. For the “80%” part of the plan, focus on drinking 2 liters of water and consuming nutritious foods, including:

  • Whole grains
  • fruits and vegetables
  • Sources of light protein
  • Healthy fats in limited quantities

As for your delicacies, or the “20%”, adopt a reasonable consumption of your favorite foods. For example, you can eat a small piece of chocolate cake today and drink a glass of red wine tomorrow, but not both at the same time. This way of eating is easier to maintain than stricter diets like the ketogenic diet or the paleo diet, which limit carbs and processed foods.

The advantage of the 80/20 rule is that you never say, “I can’t eat this anymore.” On the contrary, you say: “I eat what I want in moderation. »

What is the best way to use the 80/20 rule?

To successfully master the 80/20 rule, try to stay within these guidelines for as many days as you can. If you want 80% of your diet to come from whole, fresh, unprocessed foods, why not treat yourself to up to 20% of your favorite treats? If you set a goal of 1,500 calories a day, that means you’ll use about 1,200 calories for healthy, nutritious meals and 300 calories for your treat.

Some people try to apply the 80% rule to weekdays and the 20% rule to weekends, but this can lead to overeating since you’ve been depriving yourself of treats all week.

By applying the 80/20 rule every day, you have leeway to splurge every day. So you never deprive yourself of the pleasure of eating a small portion of what you like.

Can you lose weight by following the 80/20 method?

To lose weight using this method, you must be willing to commit to making lasting changes to your eating habits. You should also be realistic about your expectations; even if you can afford to eat your favorite foods once in a while, you will need to make room for healthier choices most of the time. If you’re ready to make these changes, the 80/20 method could help you reach your weight loss goals.

Control of quantities and moderation are the fundamental elements of the effective 80/20 method. Therefore, it is still possible to exceed your body’s energy needs and gain weight even if you eat healthy foods. Calories still count, even if they’re healthy.

Beyond weight loss, applying the 80/20 rule can help maintain a balanced attitude toward food. It eliminates the guilt, emotions and stress associated with dieting and allows you to enjoy your favorite foods in moderation.

Don’t start the 80/20 method overnight.

While this approach may work for some people, it is not for everyone. People with food sensitivities or allergies, for example, may have trouble sticking to the plan. Additionally, people who have a history of eating disorders may find that the flexible nature of the 80/20 Method triggers unhealthy eating behaviors. Therefore, it is important to take the advice of a doctor or dietitian before starting a new diet.

Your dietitian will review your usual diet with you and help you identify areas where you can make more nutritious food choices to achieve your fitness and nutrition goals. More importantly, he or she will help you develop simple, healthy eating habits through small changes you can make over time.

* criptom strives to transmit health knowledge in a language accessible to all. In NO CASE, the information given can not replace the opinion of a health professional.