Most of us have had the experience of stepping on a rug, touching a doorknob, or hugging someone, and feeling a sudden spark! Have you ever wondered what’s going on? Well, it’s called static electricity. Static electricity is an electrostatic discharge that occurs when two objects with opposite electrical charges come into contact. Our body naturally generates electrical energy every day. In fact, we are constantly exchanging electrons with the environment around us in a symmetrical exchange process to maintain our balance. But sometimes this process can get disrupted, resulting in excessive charge buildup that eventually causes static discharges when you touch a grounded object. In this article, we’ll explore where these shocking sparks come from and how you can reduce their occurrence in your body and environment.

Static electricity: where does it come from?

Static electricity in the body is a phenomenon that has been studied extensively by scientists. It is a form of electrical charge that can build up and stay on the surface of our skin, clothes, and other objects. Where does this static electricity come from?

The answer to this question lies in the composition of the substances present on our skin and clothes. Our body is composed mainly of water, the chemical formula of which has one oxygen atom for every two hydrogen atoms. This makes it an excellent conductor of electricity. The combination of electrons in water and air creates an imbalance, or positive charge, which can be transferred between surfaces when they touch or come close to each other without separating. to touch. This phenomenon is called electrostatic induction.

When something like hair comes into contact with something like wool, more electrons move from one material to another as they collide in everyday life. The wool then becomes negatively charged with respect to the hair and produces an electric field which can cause the hair to stand on end of the toes – hence what we perceive as static electricity!

In fact, not all materials have the same ability to retain electrical charges, which means that some fabrics retain charges more easily than others. This explains why some people may experience more static shock than others depending on their type of clothing!

Now you know where static electricity comes from! It’s all down to the simple physics of textile materials when they come into contact with each other or with surfaces such as hair follicles or air molecules. It’s amazing how such a trivial thing can be explained using scientific principles!

How to explain that some have never suffered from static electricity?

Factors such as humidity levels, choice of clothing, and even skin type can play a role in a person’s ability to sense static electricity. In general, people who live in drier regions with low humidity and exposed surfaces (such as wooden floors) are more likely to encounter conditions conducive to the generation of static charges than those who live in more humid climates with less accessible conductors.

Also, people who wear clothes made of synthetic materials tend to be much more susceptible to static shock due to the high electrical resistance of these fabrics compared to cotton clothes. Finally, people with dry skin generally have an easier time generating these small electrical currents than those with moist skin.

How to avoid it?

To avoid static electricity in the body, there are several measures to take.

Wearing loose clothing and natural materials.

First, it’s important to reduce the amount of friction that causes static electricity. This can be done by wearing loose clothes, as tight clothes create more friction on the skin and hair than looser styles. Additionally, for those who have synthetic fabrics in their wardrobe (which easily create static), switching to natural fibers like cotton can help reduce static buildup in the body.

Humidifying your environment is another way to combat static electricity.

Dry air helps to charge the particles faster, which leads to increased levels of static electricity and shock when they come into contact with each other. Increasing indoor humidity through a humidifier or houseplant helps keep the particles from charging as much and thus minimizes unwanted electric shocks during daily activities.

Daily hydration of the skin.

Applying a lotion or oil daily helps reduce dryness and static, which can cause a whole host of irritations to our skin and hair. Not only can it help ward off static electricity, but staying hydrated can also help protect against the harsh environment created by heaters, cold weather, and other factors that can compromise our skin’s health. It’s important to find the right lotion for your skin type and not skip this important step. Taking a few minutes to apply moisturizer before starting the day can save you from unwanted static!

* criptom strives to transmit health knowledge in a language accessible to all. In NO CASE, the information given can not replace the opinion of a health professional.